Paint Your Vermeer
Classroom Now Open
Hello creative friends,
Are you an admirer of the Old Masters like Johannes Vermeer? Don't you love how he depicts the light and handles the colors to create that luminous quality in his paintings?
Would you like to learn how to paint like the Old Master using modern materials?
Come join me and let's re-create one of his most famous masterpiece, "Girl with a Pearl Earring".
We can all learn by copying the Masters
I've been researching the Old Masters' painting techniques for quite some time now. It can feel quite confusing and overwhelming at first, especially if you have never used oil paint before, or have never heard of words like "glazing" or "scumbling". It takes many experimenting on your own to start getting the hang of it.
But it's totally worth it! You will learn so much about drawing, value contrast, and colours mixing that are the basics of any paintings. These are skills and knowledge you can use in any kind of work you make.
What will you learn?
In this self-study course, you will learn:
- how to use the grid method to help you make accurate drawings;
- the Old Master Vermeer's drawing and painting techniques;
- what colours and materials Vermeer used, and modern versions we can use;
- what is a dead layer, colour layer, and glazes and how to use them to create luminous paintings.
You will also get:
- inspiration on how to use the Master's technique to create works of your own;
- support and constructive feedback from me;
- private Facebook group to share your work.
ONLY AUD39 (approximately USD29) WITH LIFETIME ACCESS
Who is this class for?
This course is for beginners and more experienced artists who want to experiment or transition to oil paint from other media like acrylic or watercolour.
This course is for you if you have never drawn or painted before, or think that you can't draw. You will learn how to draw a three-quarter portrait accurately, and from there, build up a painting step-by-step.
If you're a mixed-media or acrylic artist, you will learn how to handle oil paint, and the multi-layered technique of oil painting.
This course is for you if you want to re-create "Girl with a Pearl Earring", or use the methods to make a work of your own. There will be video examples of me doing exactly that.
What students are saying about this course?
— Rula Darwazeh
“I’m a huge Vermeer fan, but when I first read that it was ‘oil painting’, my heart dropped. Because I’ve heard all the horror stories about it taking long to dry etc., and I had no idea what supplies we needed. But Lucy was great at guiding me through it all. And very step of the way, she was right there to offer help and support, despite being thousands of kilometers away. My ‘Girl’ is very proudly framed on my entry hall wall and I’m very proud of my first oil painting. I would definitely Lucy’s course to anyone, even brand new oil painters like me.”
— Kim Hine
How does this course work?
Once you've purchased the course, you will receive an email with a password to access your classroom within the next 24 hours.
In this self study course, each video is about 10 to 20 minutes long to make it easy for you to pick up where you left off.
What kind of supplies do I need?
- Vine charcoal, Drawing Paper, Masking Tape, Paper towel, Stretched Canvas of your chosen size.
- Paint: Flake White Replacement (from Gamblin) or Titanium White, Raw Umber, Ivory Black, Yellow Ochre, Cadmium Lemon, Cadmium Red Light, Magenta (or Alizarin Crimson), Ultramarine Blue.
- Gamblin's Gamsol or another odorless mineral spirit, Linseed Oil.
- Assorted brushes, including a small round brush for detail work, and a soft brush to help with blending.